New program enhances infection prevention and control knowledge
Over the years, several infection control breaches in dental settings have made national headlines. To help address this issue, the Organization for Safety, Asepsis and Prevention (OSAP), the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) and the DALE Foundation have formed a collaboration to create a multi-faceted infection control education and credentialing initiative. Together, the three partners bring expertise in infection control (OSAP), certification and credentialing (DANB) and research and online education development (the DALE Foundation). This initiative will produce a unique set of vetted and validated certificate and credentialing programs to help advance knowledge and support infection control compliance and safety in dental settings.
The first program launched is the OSAP-DALE Foundation Dental Infection Prevention and Control Cer tificate ProgramTM. In four steps, the assessment-based certificate program is designed to enhance baseline knowledge in infection prevention to advance dental safety. Steps 1 and 2 of the program are available now, and steps 3 and 4 of the program will be available later in 2018.
There are four educational components leading to the OSAP-DALE Foundation Dental Infection and Prevention Control Certificate:
- Complete one of the following dental infection
control education programs:
- OSAP’s Dental Infection Control Boot Camp (3-day, in-person meeting).• CDC Guidelines: From Policy to Practice by OSAP (online or paper).
- OSAP’s OSHA & CDC Guidelines Interact Training System (online).
- The DALE Foundation’s DANB ® ICE ® Review course (online).
- Complete the OSAP-DALE Foundation online CDEA ® module: Understanding CDC’s Summary of Infection Prevention Practices in Dental Settings TM .(Available at www.osap.org/?page=SDVCDEA)
- Complete the OSAP-DALE Foundation Dental Infection Prevention and Control eHandbook TM .
- Complete the OSAP-DALE Foundation eHandbook Assessment TM . OSAP, DANB and the DALE Foundation will be releasing additional details on the education and credentialing initiatives in the coming months. To learn more about these education initiatives for dental safety, visit www.osap.org, www.danb.org or www.dalefoundation.org.
About OSAP: The Organization for Safety, Asepsis and Prevention (OSAP) focuses on strategies to improve compliance with safe practices and on building a strong network of recognized infection control experts. OSAP offers an extensive online collection of resources, publications, FAQs, checklists and toolkits that help dental professionals deliver the safest dental visit possible for their patients. Plus, online and live courses help advance the level of knowledge and skill for every member of the dental team. The organization’s annual conference is May 31-June 3 in Dallas, TX. For additional information, visit www.OSAP.org.
About DANB: The Dental Assisting National Board, Inc. (DANB) is recognized by the American Dental Association as the national certifying board for dental assistants. DANB’s mission is to promote the public good by providing credentialing services to the dental community. DANB examsand certifications are recognized or required by 39 states, the District of Columbia, the U.S. Air Force and the Department of Veterans Affairs. For more information, visit www.danb.org.
About the DALE Foundation: The DALE Foundation – the official DANB affiliate – benefits the public by providing quality continuing education and conducting sound research to promote oral health. The DALE Foundation offers interactive e-learning courses and study aids to help dental assistants and other dental auxiliaries expand their knowledge and grow their careers. To learn more, visit www.dalefoundation.org.